How to spot for Real Vanilla
Madagascar, Premium, French, Tahitian, Vanilla , Vanilla? Ever wonder what are the difference ?
Guess which one contains Vanilla? LEFT VS RIGHT
How about this ?
*INSERT BURNT CHEESECAKE PHOTO *Hint look at the black specs*
The black specks are Vanilla Seed where all the flavor is ! You have to slit it open and scrape the seeds out. Tips: leftover pods can be 1. cook in sauces/ syrups 2. store in sugar jar and blended afterwards -Yes you can blend it with sugar to fully maximize your money
3. throw into the rubbish bin
This is an image of a Vanilla Plant and the Pod after harvesting, curing and drying. Its very expensive due to the labor and demand for it . There are around 150 different breeds, Madagasar vanilla, Bourbon vanilla, and Tahitian vanilla are the more popular ones.
Used to be expensive, but since 2 years ago it became even more expensive due to Global Warming which destroy 80% of the world's supply at Madagascar. (The more affordable pod use to be rm7, now its rm25)
Yes Madagascar is also known not for their Penguins!
2 Categories of Extract
1. Synthetic/Artificial/Imitation Vanilla Flavoring *Often labeled as Vanilla Extract in Malaysia
- Made from by-products of paper
- Rely on chemically produced Lignin Vanillin for the flavor
Why use Imitation Vanilla? - Way cheaper than the Real Vanilla Pod - Longer Shelf Life & not as Perishable as Real Vanilla Pod
2. Pure Vanilla Extract
- Made from soaking Vanilla Pod with Alcohol or Glycerin.
- Ranges from cheap to high quality . - The cheaper ones uses less Vanilla, where else the Premium one uses more *like Milo Kao ,The more the stronger
- Price = Quality , anything less than rm10 = Low Grade
How to Buy and Store Properly
1. Vanilla Pods - When choosing make sure its moist and flexible , if u can bend it like Beckham then its nice and moist - If its breaks into half = not stored well but here's a tip Before Bending it, make sure no one is around you , because nice to touch nice to see but once Broken considered Sold !
- keep it airtight in the fridge (can last for few years) as long as it doesn't dry out
Anyway Ikea sells really cheap ziplock bag
2. Vanilla Extract - keep in somewhere dark and cooling
I will always keep in the fridge, Malaysia Room Temp 30C = too hot